Monday, November 22, 2010

Gov Huckabee Returns to Iowa

Today Huckabee returned to his beloved Iowa to address the theme of Energizing the Church to Engage the Culture.  Prior to his keynote speech to about 1500 attendees, he answered questions at a press conference.

Below are highlights from David Shedlock's live blog of the event.  Caffeinated Thoughts recorded the press conference and posted it on youtube.  

SPEECH/SERMON: 
“I’m not here to announce any plans, or deny any plans”  He congratulated the people of Iowa for ousting the judges who thought they could do anything they want.  Those who govern are ultimately accountable to the governed.   He thanked every mom, every dad, and every pastor who stood up.

 *We have a dad deficit.  We could save $300 billion a year by having fathers take care of their own children. Huckabee has great respect for single mothers doing the best they can.   But if we can’t fix the family we won’t be able to fix things in Washington.   The most important unit of government is the family.  There we learn values, structures and manners.  We learn there to work hard rather than be lazy.  We’re getting a nation full of spoiled brats thinking it is government’s job to bail us out, and clean up our messes.

*It takes a great deal more depth to understand the issues from eternal values that cannot be changed.  Christians are not intellectually inferior.  They are wrong who say we should not talk about”social”  issues of life or think that a manipulation of the tax code by the elected class.   If 2/3 of the women in poverty were married to the father of her children they would not be in poverty.  We need mothers and fathers who raise their own kids. The government continues to spend us into great debt.   Charlies Rangel got by 17 years without paying taxes, because he didn’t understand the tax code which he helped write.  And a box of Kleenex was the only price he’ll pay.

*Sgt Salvatore Guinta io Iowa received the Congressional Medal of Honor for running into a wall of bullets to try and save the life of one of his comrades, Sgt Josh Brennan, who lost his life.  When he received the award Guinta stated, “”I would give this back in a second to have my friends with me right now.”

*If we choose our own comforts on the backs of its weakest, terminating them at will we will face God’s judgements.  There will be no strong economy without protecting each other.

*We ought not value some lives more than others, the 12-year old rather than the child 3 months in the womb.  We cannot live in a culture where people are terminated because they are financial burden.  These are not extraneous issues.  Life is valuable because God created us.  It is at the heart of our democracy.  You will never see me apologize for my stand on life.

*There is no one person more valuable than another in this country: We are all created equal, endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights.  We are not made better or worse by our bank account, our IQ, the name we inherited, our family tree.





PRESS CONFERENCE:  Will Huckabee base his decision on if Sarah Palin runs?  “No question, she will be a very, very strong presence and force, if she gets in,” Huckabee told reporters in Des Moines Sunday. “You know, she may run away with it. And that’s one of those things everyone needs to be prepared for.”  “If I get in, I prefer she not and that she endorse me,” Huckabee then joked.

What is Huckabee's timetable for making a decision?  “I’m not on a timetable. I’m not on somebody’s calendar to say this is the time when I have to decide,” Huckabee said during a press conference before the annual fall fundraiser for The Family Leader, a social conservative policy and political group that includes the Iowa Family Policy Center.

“Am I keeping the option open? Yes. Am I open to it? Considering it and giving, you know, thought? Of course,” he added. “I think I would be foolish not to in light of having been through it, understanding what it’s about.”

Huckabee was asked if he could beat Obama?  “I always believed I could,”Huckabee said. “I wouldn’t have run the last time if I didn’t think I could and the good news for me is a majority of American voters seem to think that. In the last poll, I was the only one who polled above (Obama) outside the margin of error.” 

Please check out Caffeinated Thoughts as they have several entries on Huckabee's visit to Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment